There is no doubt there have been changes in public libraries.
Divine institutions of knowledge.......yes......but many use for other reasons like
- a place to drop off the kids and go shopping,
- a community center
- a cheap motel to have sex in
- a place where users with library cards are slim and My Space viewers are rampant
- a place to ogle men or women
- a place to get print free passes to Crossroads or Club Love
I concur that there should be a collaborative effort between users and staff.
It is hard though because sometimes there is little collaboration between the higher ups and staff........
People have various information needs. Having a presence in the virtual world helps meet the needs of a larger group of people.
Some of the 2.0 agenda is applicable is some locations better than others. There is no one size fits all. Libraries need to embrace the pieces that best meet their users needs.